It's been a long time since I've rambled on about Sabbath
g***@comcast.net
2004-08-01 16:37:50 UTC
It's been several years since I've reflected back on Black Sabbath.
With the Sabs once again reuniting for ozzfest 2004, and the Box Set
being so great, it's a Sabbath year.

Where I'm at, historically:

Sabotage: Best Album
Ozmosis: Best Solo Album
Ozzy: Finished.

I was listening to "Reunion" and got the goosebumps, listening to Ozzy
effortlessly hit high notes on songs he'd crack on in the 70's. It
occured to me that there is some definately chicanery going on with
this disk. I'm sorry, but there's no way Ozzy pulled that off. Not
in '98, that's for sure.

Yeah, Ozmosis came out around the same time, and Ozzy was in great
shape, but one expects trickery on studio albums. I digress, I don't
want this to turn into Ozzy bashing.

OF2004: Same tired old set list. Why? Because they can't get it
together for new material. So far, a vaporous new album would consist
of the following: Selling My Soul, Psycho Man and Scary Dreams.

Still, this seems to be the time for new material. Other aging acts
like Heart and Blondie have recently released new albums which are not
only good, but actually manage to recapture their original sound with
great success. The muse has returned, and Sabbath could possibly
latch on.

Yet, why is it that new material is never very memorable no matter how
good it might be? How is it that we, as fans, hit a glass ceiling and
cut-off the enjoyment of our favorite artists? I have a theory that
it's a digital thing. Digital recording, with digital mikes and
digital amps and digital effects and digital soundboards just sounds
flat and lifeless. Also, things are more compressed these days, and
really take the "Air" out of music. It might be good, but it's just
rough on the ears is all.

Typically, a new studio release from a long-gone band only has one or
two tracks that really strike the right chord. So, they tour, they
play the one good song, and revert to the same tired material and
everyone feels kind of ripped-off, especially since they "Can't do the
old stuff anymore" due to singer's aging voice.

Back to Sabbath: Ozzy is old. It is arguable to say he's got five
years left, maximum. The Live at Budokot DVD is awful, everything
seems to be sung at a full step lower (or more) he might as well just
be talking through the songs.

Ozzy, stop touring. Cut it out. Take the next five years and do the
following:

Work out
Get off the perscription meds
Stop the binge drinking
Work out some more, with the focus on Cardio
Check into any available laser-treatments for the throat, to "tune up"
the singing range. (There are procedures, I'm not making this up.)
Spend 3 solid days with Tony, Geezer and Bill each month creating new
material. Don't try to "Be Sabbath" just write what you feel. Write
about aging, write about your controlling wife, write about real
fucking things. (NOTE: DO NOT CALL LEMMY)
When you've got ten songs done, no matter how good or "Sabbathy" you
feel they are, release an album and DO NOT TOUR.
Keep this routine going until you've got four new albums over four
years. Do not listen to feedback, just put them out.
Year Five: Tour. Not a *fest* just fucking tour with Sabbath and one
opening band. Tour your ass off, 3 dates in each stop.
Retire from touring for good.
Keep putting out Sabbath albums.

Or:
Each one of the band finds and sponsors a musician for a "New Sabbath"
with the focal point being on someone who sounds a lot like Ozzy. Let
Tony, Geezer, Bill and Ozzy write material for this band and maybe
even occasionally play with them individually.

Either way, it all comes down to whether or not they can still write
songs. If they force themselves to really come together, I'm sure
they can. Meanwhile, I'm not going to see Ozzfest 2004. I just can't
hear a detuned "Snowblind" one more time.

Final note to Tony Iommi: You are God, of course. However,
something's not right with your rig these days. In trying to sound
"Seventies Metal" you've somehow managed to sound well, kind of muddy,
yet over-produced. I mention my digital theory again here.

Or, they could just get back with Dio and everything is fine.

-Greg B.
Wall of Sleep
2004-08-01 20:43:25 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
Ozzy said he didn't do any overdubs on Reunion. For a whole host of
interviews that came out about that time - go here:
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsB/black_sabbath.html

Also, you seem a bit spoiled to me. I went to Ozzfest and Sabbath
out-rocked every band on the bill - but maybe it's partly because I
hadn't seen them live since 1978!!??
I don't undestand how any Sabbath fan can pass up an opportunity to see
them live - unless there's financial restrictions of course. All in all,
it probably cost me over a grand to see them, what with missing three
days of work, two nights in a hotel, the price of a pit ticket, the T
shirt I bought, plus meals, and gas for the 700 mile roundtrip.
But it was worth every penny to see the originals one more time!!!!
--
*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*
"Wall of Sleep is cool and bright!" - Black Sabbath 1970
*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*
Racercar
2004-08-02 01:55:18 UTC
Post by Wall of Sleep
But it was worth every penny to see the originals one more time!!!!
I agree. Even if this does amount to nothing more than a tribute to their past,
it's still the original members. And they sound as good as they did in the
'70s, if not better because of modern sound technology. I thought they were
well worth it.
Governor Swill
2004-08-02 05:26:13 UTC
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:43:25 -0700, Wall of Sleep
Post by Wall of Sleep
Also, you seem a bit spoiled to me. I went to Ozzfest and Sabbath
out-rocked every band on the bill - but maybe it's partly because I
hadn't seen them live since 1978!!??
From what I'm reading in here, their shows are a helluva lot better
than they were during their heydey.

Bedwarmer

Vote for Bush...he aint Hitler. -- Madmonk
Raddion
2004-08-02 10:55:23 UTC
Post by Wall of Sleep
Also, you seem a bit spoiled to me. I went to Ozzfest and Sabbath
out-rocked every band on the bill - but maybe it's partly because I
hadn't seen them live since 1978!!??
From what I'm reading in here, their shows are a helluva lot better
than they were during their heydey.
Bedwarmer
I saw them in '78 and they were awesomely cool. As great as the Reunion gigs
and tours were, nothing comes close to the old days.

Raddion
Governor Swill
2004-08-02 14:49:21 UTC
Post by Raddion
I saw them in '78 and they were awesomely cool. As great as the Reunion gigs
and tours were, nothing comes close to the old days.
In '72 and 75 they were lame.

Raddion
2004-08-02 21:55:19 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
I saw them in '78 and they were awesomely cool. As great as the Reunion gigs
and tours were, nothing comes close to the old days.
In '72 and 75 they were lame.
Bedwarmer
That's weird, the Asbury '75 bootleg shows them at the top of their game.

Raddion
Governor Swill
2004-08-03 05:01:33 UTC
Post by Raddion
Post by Governor Swill
In '72 and 75 they were lame.
Bedwarmer
That's weird, the Asbury '75 bootleg shows them at the top of their game.
I saw them both times in Atlanta.

Raddion
2004-08-03 10:42:54 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
Post by Governor Swill
In '72 and 75 they were lame.
Bedwarmer
That's weird, the Asbury '75 bootleg shows them at the top of their game.
I saw them both times in Atlanta.
Bedwarmer
That explains it, there probably wasn't any good coke in Atlanta in 1975.

Raddion
Governor Swill
2004-08-03 15:09:10 UTC
Post by Raddion
That explains it, there probably wasn't any good coke in Atlanta in 1975.
I'd never heard of coke in 1975.

Raddion
2004-08-03 21:00:54 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
That explains it, there probably wasn't any good coke in Atlanta in 1975.
I'd never heard of coke in 1975.
Bedwarmer
I was referring to Sabbath, sir.
Madmonk
2004-08-03 21:12:31 UTC
It's amazing Ozzy could sing as well as he did with all that coke drainage
he must have had.

Some pictures of Tony and Geezer from those days...I look at their pupils
and am like.....I know that look....big pupils, eyes a little too open.

Blow is fun but ever so dangerous and sneaky.
It ceases to be fun before long.
Newsgroups: alt.music.black-sabbath
Raddion
2004-08-03 22:02:41 UTC
Post by Madmonk
It's amazing Ozzy could sing as well as he did with all that coke drainage
he must have had.
Some pictures of Tony and Geezer from those days...I look at their pupils
and am like.....I know that look....big pupils, eyes a little too open.
Blow is fun but ever so dangerous and sneaky.
It ceases to be fun before long.
It's cool like once a year for an overnight binge, just for the decadent
hell of it. Then it's back to the grind.

Raddion
Governor Swill
2004-08-04 05:15:26 UTC
Post by Raddion
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
That explains it, there probably wasn't any good coke in Atlanta in 1975.
I'd never heard of coke in 1975.
I was referring to Sabbath, sir.
So you're saying they performed better when drugged to the gills?

Raddion
2004-08-04 10:42:08 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
Post by Governor Swill
Post by Raddion
That explains it, there probably wasn't any good coke in Atlanta in 1975.
I'd never heard of coke in 1975.
I was referring to Sabbath, sir.
So you're saying they performed better when drugged to the gills?
Bedwarmer
Well.... it's probably hard to be in a good mood about playing a concert
when you don't have any cocaine before the show, and you know you're still
not going to have any cocaine when you get off the stage. Especially if
you're a cocaine addict!

I don't know if you can get "drugged to the gills" on coke though!

Raddion
Madmonk
2004-08-04 16:37:38 UTC
Whether it's publicly acceptable to say so or not- if a performer is flying
high on a good rush of energy- even artificial energy - it is gonna be a
more entertaining show.
But the trouble comes when it is night after night...or even day after day.
With all the idle time on the road it would be hard to keep it cool I think.
In my 20s with that kind of access I am sure I would be dead.
Unlimited girls and substances...I would have got nothing done.
Newsgroups: alt.music.black-sabbath
Racercar
2004-08-04 17:31:18 UTC
Post by Madmonk
Whether it's publicly acceptable to say so or not- if a performer is flying
high on a good rush of energy- even artificial energy - it is gonna be a
more entertaining show.
But the trouble comes when it is night after night...or even day after day.
With all the idle time on the road it would be hard to keep it cool I think.
In my 20s with that kind of access I am sure I would be dead.
Unlimited girls and substances...I would have got nothing done.
That's why we lost so many in their 20s. ... I thought about this very thing
the other day when Drowning Pool came on the radio. The lead singer was found
dead in his tour bus only about 40 miles from here.
Madmonk
2004-08-04 21:02:41 UTC
Dave Williams.
I live in Dallas and met him many times, and have a lot of friends who knew
him well.

The thing is with him they never reached a cause of death did they?
He died in his sleep right?
Newsgroups: alt.music.black-sabbath
Raddion
2004-08-04 21:17:58 UTC
Post by Madmonk
Dave Williams.
I live in Dallas and met him many times, and have a lot of friends who knew
him well.
The thing is with him they never reached a cause of death did they?
He died in his sleep right?
Yes I think he fell asleep listening to Led Zeppelin.

Raddion
Racercar
2004-08-04 23:35:00 UTC
All I remember is that they pulled into Manassas, Va., for a gig at the Nissan
Pavilion and found him dead in his bunk on the bus. It was specualted that it
was drugs, but nothing was mentioned after that.

It was sad, too, because the band had a lot of potential.

.>> Dave Williams.
He died in his sleep right?
Magica Man
2004-08-04 18:26:59 UTC
Date: 8/4/2004 10:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time
Whether it's publicly acceptable to say so or not- if a performer is flying
high on a good rush of energy- even artificial energy - it is gonna be a
more entertaining show.
But the trouble comes when it is night after night...or even day after day.
With all the idle time on the road it would be hard to keep it cool I think.
In my 20s with that kind of access I am sure I would be dead.
Unlimited girls and substances...I would have got nothing done.
people catering to your every wish
making sure that you had anything you asked for--whether it was good for you or
not
initially one might find this the greatest thing but after a while it would
likely become bizaar and exaggerated

i think i would become a regular keith moon in record time--lol

rock on
john
g***@comcast.net
2004-08-04 18:33:31 UTC
Post by Magica Man
initially one might find this the greatest thing but after a while it would
likely become bizaar and exaggerated
i think i would become a regular keith moon in record time--lol
rock on
john
Geezer Butler had a great story about coming to New York for the first
time. It went something like this:

Assistant/Psycophant: Is there anything you need, Gentleman?
Geezer: Actually I could go for some fags.
A/P: Er...how many would you like?
Geezer: You know, about 20?
A/P: Where the hell am I supposed to come up with 20 gay men at this
hour?

Fags of course being british slang for cigarettes.

-Greg
Raddion
2004-08-02 10:53:02 UTC
Post by Wall of Sleep
Ozzy said he didn't do any overdubs on Reunion.
Ozzy lied. But to be fair, even the overdubs are flat!

Raddion
Rip
2004-08-03 00:29:16 UTC
Post by Raddion
Post by Wall of Sleep
Ozzy said he didn't do any overdubs on Reunion.
Ozzy lied. But to be fair, even the overdubs are flat!
There were two shows recorded for Reunion. I'm sure they have mixed
tracks together (not songs, but individual tracks - vocal part can be
from day one, and the rest from day two). It would:

1. explain why it sounds bad
2. make sense that it doesn't match your audience tape
3. confirm Ozzy's story that there haven't been overdubs on Reunion

Rip
r***@REMOVE_THIS.hotmail.com
2004-08-08 04:30:29 UTC
Post by Wall of Sleep
Ozzy said he didn't do any overdubs on Reunion. For a whole host of
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsB/black_sabbath.html
Also, you seem a bit spoiled to me. I went to Ozzfest and Sabbath
out-rocked every band on the bill - but maybe it's partly because I
hadn't seen them live since 1978!!??
Funny, I last saw them in 1978 too, and am thinking about next week's
show.

( modify address for return email )

www.numbersusa.com
www.americanpatrol.com
Magica Man
2004-08-08 10:06:25 UTC
Date: 8/7/2004 10:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time
Post by Wall of Sleep
Ozzy said he didn't do any overdubs on Reunion. For a whole host of
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsB/black_sabbath.html
what a great little link
thanks

rock on
john

"Oh no, they’re at it again / Looking inside my secrets /Coming through
cracks before I mend the wall"--The Eyes, RJD

Governor Swill
2004-08-02 05:24:50 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
Yet, why is it that new material is never very memorable no matter how
good it might be? How is it that we, as fans, hit a glass ceiling and
cut-off the enjoyment of our favorite artists? I have a theory that
it's a digital thing. Digital recording, with digital mikes and
digital amps and digital effects and digital soundboards just sounds
flat and lifeless. Also, things are more compressed these days, and
really take the "Air" out of music. It might be good, but it's just
rough on the ears is all.
As opposed to heavy echo, layering and tape hiss common in the sixties
and seventies?

Raddion
2004-08-02 10:50:58 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
1- I have an audience recording of the Reunion gig, and I can safely say
that "chicanery" is the correct word.

2- Snowblind is one of the few Sab tunes that still works tuned looooow.

3- Dio sucks!

Raddion
SLEEPING VILLAGE
2004-08-02 22:28:18 UTC
Post by Raddion
1- I have an audience recording of the Reunion gig, and I can safely say
that "chicanery" is the correct word.
2- Snowblind is one of the few Sab tunes that still works tuned looooow.
3- Dio sucks!
Raddion, I'm interested in doing a trade. Please email me.